Sunday, October 25, 2020

REVERSE TIE DYE T-SHIRT

 

This project is based on the video below by the DIY Designer Orly Shani on Youtube (video below) that I made for Marv.

Items used:
  • 1 black cotton t-shirt
  • 1 Tulip Mini Tie Dye Kit (Red and Blue)
  • Rubber bands
  • Bleach
  • A large enough container to dip t-shirt in bleach
  • Lingerie bag
  • Washer
  • Ziplock bag
  • 1 cup vinegar 
  • 1/4 cup salt

I had actually attempted this twice prior and had not as successful results, but I am very happy how this one turned out.

I started with a black Hanes cotton t-shirt and pinched it in the center and twisted it.  I have overexposed the picture so the detail is more clear.  You keep twisting until the entire t-shirt is somewhat of a circle.

I rubber banded it up into six sections and tried to make them somewhat equal.

This is a picture from my first project but I forgot to take a picture of this one.  I think I filled it about a 1/4 of an inch on the bottom and I used one of the large Halloween bowls from The Dollar Tree and you put a little bit of bleach in the bottom and dip on one side and dip on the other side.   

Don't oversaturate (which is what I did on the first project).  If a section seems dry on one side you can add a bit of bleach and dip again.  

I let it set 20-30 minutes, checking until it is as light as you desire on the dipped sides and then I shoved the entire thing into a lingerie bag (otherwise you might lose the rubberbands).

In the video she rinsed out the rubber-banded t-shirt to stop the bleaching, but I washed mine with laundry soap with some white towels (no fabric softener though) and dried in the dryer.
When it came out I had to re-twist and rubber band again as indicted above, grabbing the center again and twisting and tried to put back as it was.  If you rinse in the sink you would not need to do this step, but might need more dye.

I purchased the kit below at JoAnn's using a coupon.  I think the sale price was around $3.50 with tax.


On my project I broke one of the rubber bands and used one from the kit.  

On one side I used pretty much and equal amount of red and blue.

On the other side, I used more like 1/3 red and the other blue and I know the person I made it for wouldn't want too much red.

After the dye was on I put into a ziplock bag and it was in there for 8 hours overnight.

I took the t-shirt out of the bag and washed it again with the vinegar and salt to help set the dye by itself on the small load setting.  

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment