Sunday, April 23, 2017

Earth Day Project - Bathroom Recycling Bin from a 2 Liter Bottle


I subscribe to an email newsletter for  Do Something.org and they challenge readers to create their own recycle bin to recycle empty cosmetic and beauty items and it could be anything and you could decorate it in any way you like.  They called the promotion "Rinse, Cycle, Repeat".

As I live in a small apartment, I chose an empty 2-liter bottle that I had on hand. I chose not to decorate it as I have the option when it is full to put the entire container in the recycle bin and make another one if I choose, but I will probably just empty it out.

So far I have the top of a lid off a product, toilet paper tubes, bobby pins, tags off of products, washed out plastic lids and an old plastic toothbrush cover.  


I cut the label off with with a pair of scissors and carefully peeled off the label.  I also washed off what was left of the label with dish soap and water with a scrubber. 

I used a pen because I couldn't find a Sharpie and drew and an elongated  semi-circle with the flat part at the top where the opening would be.


You could use an Xacto Knife or box cutter to cut, but I like using an old pair of scissors as I think it give me better control.  I pinched the bottle and a horizontal cut to get started.

I then cut vertically from the center up to the lines I had drawn on the bottle.

I then cut near the lines and removed the center for the opening and I had the completed recycle bin for my bathroom above.




No comments:

Post a Comment