Saturday, September 2, 2017

Forever 21 - Plus Size Bell Sleeve Dress - Review






Photo: Forever 21 website

Up until this year, I had passed entirely on Forever 21 as I have perceived it as clothing for young girls under 25 and their clothing very bare and revealing, and for the most part, I am still of that opinion.

However, a few blogs I read (and I wish I had bookmarked them) indicated that it is a good place for gals of any age to add a few on-trend pieces to their wardrobe at an affordable price and things to look for are:  Dresses, boot, jackets, and accessories.

I have never been into one of their brick and mortar stores, and never plan too as I am sure I would get strange looks as I am middle aged, but perused their site occasionally and I found the following Bell Sleeve dress on sale (currently on sale for $10.99).  It indicated on the website the color was "Mauve"...my understanding to "Mauve" is that it is a pinkish purple and the color in the picture looked more like "Peach" to me.

The website also described it as a:


  "Ribbed knit swing dress featuring long bell sleeves, a scoop neckline, and     princess seams."
-  93% rayon, 7% spandex
-  Hand wash cold
-  Made in Vietnam

For the price. I decided to gamble and give it a try.  When I got it, it looked a little lighter than the picture, but still think it is a "Peach" color, not "Mauve".

Although it looks like texture in the picture below looks like it might be a t-shirt weight solid material, it is not; it is very thin, ribbed material that almost looks like a light gray in the ribs (pic below).

It is very lightweight and stretchy, although if you are busty it is a bit snug in that area and very thin material that although flowy at the bottom, left nothing to the imagination at the top and not really wearable for work.  

Also, as I am average in most ways, it had what I would call "Monkey" length sleeve as it would have best fit a Chimpanzee with very long arms; I am talking the sleeves came down below my knuckles.

Although I could have sent it back or taken it back to my local brick and mortar store, I salvaged the "Peach" not "Mauve"dress by chopping off the sleeves (which will go in my stash to use on a future project, as already know I have plenty of room at the sleeves for a seam allowance) and it is currently my favorite around the house dress/nightgown, although it could also be used as a beach cover up.

One more thing to add is if you get a credit card from the company, they do not have an auto-pay plan that you can set up for the minimum monthly payment, which I like to do with all my charge card to ensure there are no late fees in case I get busy to ensure I don't miss a payment.

I guess the final question would be would I buy from the site again, and the answer is yes; just would need to find the right item to try.  I have seen some very pretty dresses and jackets that were fun, not too out there, not too bare and not exceedingly expensive.


Close-up of Ribbed fabric





No comments:

Post a Comment