Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Too Faced "I Want Kandee" Eyeshadow Palette - First Impressions



This limited edition "I Want Candy" eye shadow palette is a collaboration of makeup company, Too Faced and makeup artist/Youtube blogger, Kandee Johnson.  

I have never tried a Too Faced product before, but I am a fan of Kandee Johnson and I like all of the shades and I had enough points on my Ulta card to purchase.  I also liked every shade and believe I would use them all, not just some of them like some palettes.

Although I purchased this product the day it came out on Ulta's website for $45, I haven't really used the product to say I can attest beyond first impressions.

I usually wait for a sale before buying higher end products and find myself saving it, which defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place.  I have told myself I will try it out on the weekend when I have more time and someplace special to wear it to, but when the weekend comes I don't want to use it if I am just Krogering and end up defaulting to know what works instead of trying this product.  Does anyone else do this?

Here are my impressions:

Pros:
  • You get 12 eye shadows and 3 highlight shades, which works out to be $3 per shadow.
  • The tin is sturdy and something that can be used to hold trinkets once the products is gone.
  • The colors are very pretty and give you options for a wide variety of looks.  
  • It is scented once you start to use the product - it is sort of chocolaty scent, but by first impression was "Circus" types of sweets, including chocolate when I first smelled it.
  • Shades blend well.
Cons
  • Product has a quite a bit of fallout - you want to do your eyes first.
  • Did not smell anything until brushes a crossed product.  
  • If scents bother you, you might not like this product.
  • Cost seems a bit high - Most other blogger palettes I have seen run $13.50 to $30 and think they could have sold a lot more product by having a lower price point, especially since the higher fan base is probably going to be teens to early 20's.  
  • Limited edition product - once it is gone, it is gone.
  • No mirror inside the box.  For $45, I expected there to a mirror.
  • No brush or applicator is included
Overall I think you have to accept it for what it is - a novelty item and something with a little bit of fun to it, but you are paying a premium for packaging and the novelty.


Here is a swatch on paper next to the product (below are swatches on my forearm).  I was surprised at how much loose dust of product there was when swatching.




Beauty "Recipes" booklet

"Recipe" of one of the looks called Cotton Kandee.  I love that there are pictures, if you are going to have a booklet I think you need to gear it to someone who may not know terminology from the videos like "Smoke".   Also, as she is a video blogger, I would think it might have been best to have a look book of the different looks and have a step-by-step video tutorial online for each look and direct users there. 

Front of outer box


Back of outer box - I think the colors o the box are much darker than the actual product


Front of inner tin containing products.  I like that it does look like a box of girly candies.The lid is convex and rounded on the top which is unique, but it does make it hard to stack with other shadow palettes.


Back of inner tin containing product.  Although key that looks like a box of chocolates is cute. 


Inner tin with product opened.  Disappointed there was no mirror or applicator but like the Vellum protective paper indicating what the product adds a touch of class to the tin.


Here is the product swatched on my forearm.  The first color on the top, Butterscotched, turned out so faint that when I went to swatch the line below they don't line up as I started underneath the 2nd shade, Pastry and I ran out of room for the bottom highlighting powders.


No comments:

Post a Comment