Saturday, May 11, 2019

Mary Quant Style Mini-Dress - Link to Free Pattern




Photo:  Snapshot from pattern

I stumbled across this via a vlog I follow on Youtube called Michoumakes by lovely English woman who sews, designs and crafts.

In the link below she shares a story about on a field trip to the London when she was in a design class and how they bought something small at two of the expensive stores so they would have a high end shopping bag to show off on the train ride home, but also shares a link to the V & A Museum of Art and Design where they currently are showing a collection of the iconic 1960's designer Mary Quant.

I was just a young child when she was popular and the first designer I ever recall my Mom talking about and she thought the style would be cuter on younger girls if they wear a pair of shorts underneath for modesty.  I think some of the Simplicity and McCalls pattern she sewed for me were knock-offs

The V & A has a link on their site to a free pattern for a Mary Quant Style Mini-Dress that was made by mother-daughter team of Alice & Co Patterns.

It is an A line shift dress with several variations available.  I think it is really cute if you are younger and have the legs to show off, but if I make this, I like, the woman at Michoumakes would wear it as a top as my mini-dress days are long gone.

For those that do make this you can share your creations on social media #WeWantQuant @vamuseum @aliceandcopatterns.

Link to pattern on V & A 's website here


No comments:

Post a Comment