Sunday, September 22, 2019

Pour Cup Painting


This is another free class I signed up for at our local library.  We created two "paintings" and this was my second one.   I decided to call it "Busted Eyeshadow Pallette" as that is what it reminds me of.  For the above, I used red, black, white and gold paints

The project is called "pour cup painting" as you literally mix paint  a flow medium, water, and I kid you not, a squirt of Coconut Milk hair serum, then pour each of those a bit at a time into a larger cup and literally pour it all over the canvas inside a box lid.

This is the hair serum we used.  It helps create the "cells" or small voids in the paintings.


Here is the set up to prepare for doing the "paintings"

Here are the paints I chose for my first painting after I added the flow medium to the paints I had chosen.  I had too many dark colors which is why my first one didn't turn out so well.


This was my first project using the above colors.  Calling this one "Black Forest" as that is what it looks like to me with the greenish trees.  Looking at it now with the red in the center, it looks more like "After Bear attack Black Forest" with the red in the center.    You can turn the canvas in different directions to assist the paintings flow/final look.  I had tried drawing buildings with the sticks in the project below, which is probably why it looks like tree trunks at the bottom.

I sat near a woman who said she has done over 100 of this "pour" type art to sell at craft fairs.
She said the bubbles are usually a result of mixing the mixture too quickly.   She said no two painting turn out the same.   She also said the mixture she uses at home is about 70% paint to 30% flow medium and less water than we used in the class.  She showed me pictures of some of her projects and I liked how they turned out.

To help with drying, we put push pens on the edges for "legs" before starting the project. 

Here is the instructor in front of the table of paints.

Here are projects by some of the other participants.   This was done by a young girl and she called hers "End of The Easter Bunny".  I can sort of see that.

I really liked this one.  The gal that created it called it "The 80's"; it is sort of reminiscent of a tracksuit I used to have from that time.

This was by a teen and she called this "Crime Scene"

Here are some more pics.  I like the brown one on the lower left.


It is fun and easy and glad I had a chance to try it.  I can see where it could become addicting as you sort of could become sort of a mad scientist trying different techniques/ratios/colors to get different results and it would be a fun craft for kids to make and give as a present.



No comments:

Post a Comment