Friday, March 10, 2017

Old School Chocolate Pie Recipe



This was a Facebook post that someone posted in the Southern Comfort Cooking group that I belong that is just too precious not to share.  It is of the man's late Grandmother making Chocolate Pie video on her 100th birthday.  How precious!

This is "old school" before Jello Pudding, which is much quicker and easier to make with more consistent results.  I made one similar that used 1/2 cup of milk instead of evaporated milk and cornstarch instead of flour when I was in Jr. High which I think was in a Betty Crocker Cookbook.

My Mom said was like they made when she was a kid in the 1940's, but said it would be much easier to just wait until the next time she went to store and pick up some instant Jello pudding.   She said this method takes more time and patience and in a little of the liquid at a time and constant stirring to prevent it from getting lumpy.

However, this was during one of my intermittent my pie baking obsession days/phase that I had in the 7th and 8th grade and that ended after I got my first car & job and no longer had the free time or energy to bake pies all the time.

My Mom was right, it did take, time and patience and it did come out a little bit lumpy, but I liked the shiny sheen the cornstarch gave the pie and it had a chocolate taste that was not as rich as instant Chocolate pudding and it was fun to eat a version that my Mom might have had as a kid.

This woman reminds me of how my Grandma would cook as it seemed a bit scattered to watch but she had it all organized in her head, never really measured and except for trying out a new recipe someone gave to her, didn't use them to concoct her magical delectable or feast.

Here is the body of the post:

"
Jimmy Huckaby
This is for anyone who ever had my late grandmother's chocolate pie. I filmed her making it on her 100th birthday. If you want to make it yourself below is the recipe and Ruby Huckaby will show you how its done.
Recipe
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 tbsp. cocoa
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 sm. can evaporated milk
1 cup of water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 baked pie shell
Mix sugar, flour, salt and cocoa. Add milk to the dry ingredients.
When moistened, add egg yolks alternately. Add water; mix well,
put in double boiler and cook until thickened. Pour into baked
pie shell. Use egg whites for meringue."
Like
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment